Your visit to the capital city of the United Arab Emirates is certainly incomplete without paying a visit to the Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque. I recently visited Abu Dhabi and one of the first places I wanted to go was the Sheikh Zayed mosque. I must say that Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is simply the best place you will see in Abu Dhabi.
The grand mosque of Abu Dhabi is beautiful, huge, and a wonderful example of modern Islamic architecture. In this post today, I wanted to present some fascinating facts about Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. So here you go.
Fascinating Facts About Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
1. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is one of the largest mosques in the world. The building complex of the mosque covers an area of more than 12 hectares and measures around 290 meters (960 Ft) by 420 meters (1,380 Ft).
2. Around 41,000 worshippers can worship at the same time at this mosque. The main prayer hall can accommodate approximately 10,000 people.
3. Different building materials were sourced from many countries like Morocco, Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Germany, Austria, New Zealand China, India, and Pakistan.
4. The beautiful design of Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque minarets combines Mamluk, Ottoman, and Fatimid architectural styles.
5. The beautiful carpet in the main prayer hall is the world’s largest hand-knotted carpet. It took around 8 months to design, 12 months to knot and 2 months to transport, trim and weave the pieces together. Approximately 1,200 workers made this 5,700 square meters carpet a reality.
6. Sheikh Zayed Mosque houses seven crystal chandeliers made by Faustig, a Germany-based firm specializing in crystal chandeliers. The chandelier present in the main prayer hall weighs around 12 tons and is one of the largest chandeliers used in a mosque. All chandeliers are made from gilded stainless steel and brass using approximately 40kg of 24 karats galvanized gold.
There's More to Life than 9 to 5
Live the travel life you always dreamt of. Subscribe to receive latest updates, travel and blogging tips, exclusive deals and more.
7. There are 82 domes of various sizes at this mosque, with the largest one located in the center of the main prayer hall. The inner side of these domes features traditional Moroccan artwork.
8. Sheikh Zayed Mosque features a unique lighting system designed to reflect the phases of the moon. There are 22 light towers which project soft clouds of a ‘bluish gray’ color on the exterior of the mosque. This light changes according to the moon phase every night.
9. The design of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque has been inspired by Persian and Mughal architectural styles. The building is also influenced by the Abu al-Abbas al-Mursi Mosque in Alexandria, Egypt.
10. The construction of Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque began in 1996. It took more than 3,000 workers and 38 contracting companies to construct the mosque. It was opened for worship in 2007.
11. Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque was named after the founding father and the first president of UAE – late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. His final resting place is located beside the mosque.
Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Facts: Summing Up
The dream project of late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque celebrates peace and diversity in most beautiful way possible.
If you are planning a visit to the United Arab Emirates, do include this beautiful example of modern Islamic architecture in your list. I’m sure you will feel like entering a whole different world.
That will be all, ladies and gentlemen. This is Parvez and you were reading 11 Fascinating Facts About Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi on Parvezish.com.
I will be back soon with new travel experiences soon. Till then, you guys keep wandering.
Have you visited or planning to visit the Abu Dhabi Grand Mosque? Do share your experience with me in comments!
Stop Living That Stereotype Life!
Live the travel life you always dreamt of. Subscribe and receive latest updates, travel and blogging tips, exclusive deals and more.